The review process is based entirely on confidential feedback from the board members, CEO and SMT. It can be tailored to each organisation, and includes four assessments:
- A review of the board performance against code requirements and best practice
- A review of the Chair’s performance in leading and managing the board
- A skills self-assessment by the board members to identify any gaps
- A review of the CEO’s performance in leadership, management, and delivery
The assessments are broken down below
Board - Assessed by Board Members, CEO and SMT.
28 performance aspects, covering:
- The role of the board
- Strategic Direction
- Compliance and controls
- Equality and diversity
- Development and appraisal
- Openness and accountability
"How effectively does the Board, as a whole, maintain a clear separation and distinction between the strategic role of the Board and the operational responsibilities delegated to staff?"
Board members - Self-assessment by each Board Member.
11 attributes and 14 skills, covering:
- Insight and acumen
- Interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and understanding
- Specific board skills
- Chair - Assessed by the other Board Members
- 21 skills, covering:
- Board leadership
- Board management
- Board development and renewal
- Supporting and managing the CEO
"How effectively does the Chair oversee the quality, quantity and timeliness of board information?"
CEO - Assessed by Board Members.
27 performance aspects, covering:
- Leadership and strategic direction
- Delivering results
- Making a personal impact
"How effectively does the CEO translate strategic aims into practical and achievable plans?"