Sample Job Descriptions
Provided here is a model job description for a CEO.
ACEVO members can log in to access further information from the Free Resources section of the members area:
- Role description for a Chair
- Role description for a Vice-Chair
- Role description for a Trustee
- Role description for an Honorary Treasurer
- Self assessment questions for Board members
- Introducing assessment of the CEO
- 360 degree feedback questionnaire for staff members.
These, and many other resources, are available in the publication Your Chair and Board; a survival kit for CEOs, which is available from the publications e-store
Model Job Description for a CEO
Job title: Chief Executive
Reports to the Board of Trustees
Purpose of the job
- Work with the Chair to ensure that the Board of trustees formulate and regularly review the organisation's mission and strategic plan; ensure it is able to monitor annual plans and targets.
- Be responsible for staff leadership, management and administration of the organisation in the execution of the Board of trustees' policies.
- Work with the Chair to ensure that the Board receives appropriate advice and information on all relevant matters and enable it to fulfil its governance responsibilities.
1. Working with the Board:
- Ensure appropriate presentation and reporting to the on the progress of the organisation and on all matters relevant to the discharge of its responsibilities
- As agreed with the Chair, develop policy proposals for Board discussion and decision
- Support the Chair in ensuring the continued engagement/involvement of all members of the Board
- As appropriate, monitor and advise on the composition of the Board of trustees its committees and the process of self-assessment and development
- Ensure an annual calendar of meetings of the Board and its principal sub-committees is in place
2. Leading and managing the organisation:
- Ensure that a long term strategy is in place which can guide the organisation in achieving objectives.
- Enable the organisation to articulate its corporate philosophy and value base; ensure that these are consistently applied across the organisation
- Be responsible to the trustees for the overall financial health of the organisation; ensure that expenditure is controlled in line with budgets as approved by the Board
- Ensure the organisation discharges its constitutional and legal obligations
- Provide leadership to the senior management team, and keep under review and appraise the work of staff reporting directly to the chief executive
- Ensure that the organisation has the resources (human, material and financial) to operate as effectively as possible
- Establish and maintain an HR system which ensures leadership and maximises the potential of staff and is in keeping with the mission and values of the organisation
3. Promotion of the organisation
- Maintain effective networks with all principal supporters and stakeholders
- Seek opportunities to expand and promote the role of the organisation
- Ensure the organisation is presented in an appropriate and professional manner to its stakeholders
This sample job description has been kindly reviewed by Bates,Wells & Braithwaite.