Racial diversity in the charity sector
ACEVO and Institute of Fundraising (IoF) ask civil society leaders to commit to eight principles to address the diversity deficit in charity leadership.
In a report published today, ACEVO and IoF urge charities to prioritise increasing diversity in their workforces in order to prevent groupthink, generate more income, operate more creatively and attract the best talent. In order to create stronger, more resilient charities the two membership bodies are asking charity leaders, and leaders from wider civil society organisation that want to improve diversity and inclusion, to sign up to eight leadership principles.
As a leader I will:
- Acknowledge that there is a problem with racial diversity in the charity sector and commit to working to change that.
- Recognise the important role leaders have in creating change by modelling positive behaviour and taking action.
- Learn about racial bias and how it impacts leadership decisions.
- Commit to setting permanent and minimum targets for diversity that reflects the participants, donors, beneficiaries and the population of the area that my charity operates in.
- Commit to action and invest resources, where necessary, in order to improve racial diversity in my charity.
- View staff as the sum of many parts rather than a single entity and recruit to build a diverse group of talented people collectively working towards a shared vision.
- Recruit for potential, not perfection.
- Value lived experience, the ability to draw from one’s lived experience and to bring insights to an organisation that can develop its work.
Who has made the commitments?
Vicky Browning, CEO, ACEVO
Peter Lewis, CEO, Institute of Fundraising
Thomas Lawson, CEO, Leap Confronting Conflict
Baillie Aaron, CEO, Spark Inside
Tesse Akpeki, governance consultant, facilitator and trainer
Sir Stuart Etherington, CEO, NCVO
Sharon Allen, CEO, Skills for Care
Javed Khan, CEO, Barnados
Sarah Hughes, CEO, Centre for Mental Health
Carol Akiwumi, chair and founder, Money4Youth
Jane Dodson, chair, seAp Advocacy
Robin Osterley, CEO, Charity Retail Association
Mark Simms, CEO, P3 the social inclusion charity
Amelia Foster, CEO, SAPHERE
Jonathan Freeman, CEO, CareTech Foundation
Jane Ide, CEO, NAVCA
David Fielding, Managing Partner, Attenti
Richard Boland, CEO, retailTRUST
Shaun Horan, Joint CEO, Halpin Partnership
Beth Upton, CEO, Money Tree Fundraising
Lauren Seager-Smith, CEO, Kidscape
Michael Adamson, chief executive, British Red Cross
Heather Osborne, chief executive, Age UK Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin
Jane Collins, chief executive, Marie Curie
Girish Menon, CEO, ActionAid UK
Liam Fassam, executive director, Ignite
John Sauven, executive director, Greenpeace UK
Howard Sinclair, chief executive, St. Mungo's
Ghazala Baig, chief executive, MedEquip4Kids
Ruth Kettle, chief executive, Community Links
Dom Wood, CEO, 1625 Independent People
Darren York, chief executive, TCV
Sally Young, chief executive, Newcastle CVS
Jane Hartley, chief executive, VONNE
Sherrylyn Peck, chief executive, Safer London
Ruth Spellman, chief executive and general secretary, WEA
Rick Henderson, chief executive, Homeless Link
Helena Holt, chief executive, Devon Air Ambulance
Graeme Hodge, chief executive, All We Can
Alison Lowe, chief executive, Touchstone
Craig Bennett, CEO, Friends of the Earth
Oonagh Aitken, chief executive, Volunteering Matters
Sara Llewellin, chief executive, Barrow Cadbury Trust
Nik Peasgood, chief executive, Leeds Women's Aid
Judith Mudd, chief executive, The British Sociological Association
Kate Lee, CEO, Clic Sargent
Menai Owen-Jones, CEO, The Pituitary Foundation
Jess Mullen, head of policy and communications, Clinks
Jo Hobbs, chief executive, British Youth Council
Anna Smee, CEO, UK Youth
Derri Burdon, CEO, Curious Minds
Matt Lent, CEO, Future First
Anne Fox, CEO, Clinks
Lynne Morris, CEO, Toybox
Teri Stephenson, CEO, Age UK Lancashire
Jane van Zyl, CEO, Working Families
Paul Parker, recording clerk, Quakers
Ruth Potter, charity manager, OCAY
Eliot Lyne, interim chief executive, RNIB
Tom Clarke-Forrest, founder & chief executive, Sport 4 Life UK
Olivia Southey, head of policy, Doula UK
Debbie Geraghty, chief executive, Plymouth Music Zone
Penny Wilson, chief executive, Gettting on Board
Annie Warburton, chief executive, Cockpit Arts
If you would like to make the commitments and be listed here please email email@example.com.